We’ve made some improvements to our ground bird feeder.
I think this started out as an RSPB ground feeder, I think they’ve updated their design now. Anyway, ours was showing signs of wear and tear, and it was a bit weathered. The handles broke off ages ago!
Previously we’ve taken it all apart and replaced the staples with screws.
We have now painted it to help it last longer out in all weathers, and we have added these metal bits.
I had the idea because in high winds the tray had been blown about, which is possibly how we lost the plastic handles. Luckily the few times it happened the tray had landed still in our garden, and since then I have tied it on with twine.
The idea is that the metal bits will act like the little things on the back of a photo frame that hold the photo in, and they’ll hold the tray in when it’s windy, but they can be spun out of the way so I can clean it easily. It’s a longer term solution, the twine was getting annoying.
We have also drilled holes in the corners on the wooden base to aid drainage. The plastic tray drains out at the corners onto the wood, but it gathers a bit with sodden seeds and such, so now it can run away better.
I will see how it handles our weather now! 🙂