Over the last few days we’ve got a lot done in the garden.
We had a little work party and we’ve almost sorted the drainage for the new roofed area. We added a new down pipe out the front of the house as well, and we removed the stumps of a couple of old shrubs and replaced them.
I’ve put my new bulbs in; a few free daffodils, some snow drops, winter aconite, alliums (blue and red), and a few left over crocus and fritillary. I also popped in a new dahlia -spent the last of my birthday vouchers and you can’t not spend the full amount can you!?
In my last post I said I’d moved our buddleia and added a photina ‘red robin’. This is them in their new home.
As you can see I’ve been using the rocks, from the dry stone wall I had to move, to make insect and frog homes. These will eventually be nice and shaded when the Photina grows up.
These two I might use to stand our bee nester on. It didn’t get used last year, and I don’t think the position was ideal, so I’m thinking of putting it here. It’s much nearer food for the bees.
We’ve also taken all our bird boxes down to clean. Sadly, inside the one our Great tits nested in this year, I found four dead chicks 😦 They had some feathers but obviously weren’t fledglings yet. It’s really sad, but it happens. I wonder if it was the parent’s first year.. it was certainly the first time I’ve seen Great tits nest there, it’s usually blue tits.
Our camera box wasn’t occupied by birds this year, but it was taken over by earwigs. Uch. I don’t mind most insects but there’s something about earwings… 😦
We have discovered we are being visited by a brown rat, I’ve seen it nick potato peelings off the compost. We’ve stopped added kitchen scraps to it now and keep blocking the holes it leaves under the fence. But I’ve now seen that it has pushed some compost material out the back of the bin. I really hope it’s not nesting. I keep agitating the bin as I read rats don’t stay in constantly disturbed places.
I have a couple of hebes on order to fill a space our old washing line will leave when we get our new line, and I have a small trellis coming so we can have a climber on one of the patio cover supports. It’s hard to find a suitable climber for this position though.. it needs to be OK with some shade, north facing, not too big, evergreen, and good for wildlife. A clematis might have to do.
Well that’s it for now. Took a break while working to shoot this bee 🙂