For those of you following all the changes I’m making to my garden, I have an update.
I’m not sure I’ve shown them before, but the michaelmas daisy shown above and my tickseed are doing well. I’ve seen both recommended for wildlife.
Now it’s stopped flowering I’ve pruned the buddleia in the meadow area down by about half. This was to renovate it a bit and also to make it easier to move – it was not doing so great where it was.
This is where I’ve moved it to. This is the space left by our old plastic compost bins (we build a better one). The hay is temporary and is from the meadow as it wouldn’t all fit in the compost bin right away. The rocks are from a dry stone wall I made for insects, it had to move but I’ve yet to find it a new home. I have also planted a Photina shrub here. The buddleia should get a bit more sun here and hopefully will attract more butterflies. The Photina will provide another sanctuary for our birds.
This is our new outlook. One thing that has been distracting me lately is the new addition of this cover over our patio. I can now sit out in the rain and not get wet! We have lots of plans for this area; we are going to paint the wood, install a proper washing line and get rid of our rotary line, install a “camo net curtain” for spying on the birds, plant a climber, and other things. Very exciting, we’ve waited a long time for this.