When I started my garden project we already had compost bins. I’ve been using these, but they are plastic bins and I find it difficult to mix the compost in them. They also dry out easily, and the compost is out of sight out of mind, so we probably didn’t tend to it enough.
We decided to build a new compost bin.
It’s a metre square and as you can see it will have gaps for aeration.
In this shot below you can just about see the blue spacers we are using at the front. This was to make sure that when we fixed the wood that makes the sides, there was some wriggle room.
This is because all the lengths that make up the front aren’t fixed (except the bottom one) and they slide in and out (they aren’t even in this photo). I can adjust how many are in depending on how much compost there is, and I can take some out at the bottom if I want to get to the compost down there.
This new bin is my Dad’s design based on the design used in our garden back when Dad was young, when it was a veggie garden. It’s now right by our water butts so I can keep it moist and I won’t forget it. The compost will hopefully be easier to mix and aerate now. Plus we won’t have to walk as far to add kitchen scraps to it!