Following on from my original Bee box post, here’s our progress.
I finished painting the roof and we screwed it on using spacers. This creates a slight slope to aid water run off, and air space so the bees don’t get too hot if the metal heats up in the sun.
We cut a length of pipe and made drainage holes in it. I fitted it to the box entrance and buried it. I added ballast in the bottom of the hole to further aid the drainage. Using a pipe as an entrance is suppose to increase our chances of getting bees interested in the nest.
The instructions say to bury the pipe right up to the box. But we felt the box would get wet so I carefully shaded it with rock instead. This way the pipe won’t get sun hot or anything and it is disguised nicely.
I was careful to make sure the whole lid of the box still slides off so we can spy on any bees we get. And I’ve sown some seeds on the disturbed earth – the bees should like the flowers when they come up.
Job done, over to you bees!