We spent the weekend in the garden again, but this time we were blessed with wonderful, sunny, warm weather 😀
Yesterday we finished filling the trenches with ballast (for better drainage) and we slid the four sleepers, that we bolted together, into the trench using planks of wood to help us. We then dug out the island in the middle just a little, mostly getting rid of the turf, and filled in the gap in front of the sleepers.
Once that was done we fitted anti weed matting to the inside and started to fill it with slate chips (again good for drainage) for the foot well.
Today we added more slate. We’ll let it settle a bit now and add more later. I think we will need at least one more barrow load. When that is level we can put the arbour seat on top, balancing it on the sleepers.
We also did some weeding in the right hand border and treated all the grass below the log rolls with weed killer as, at last, we had low wind speeds. It’s a bit sad, but it’s necessary to create our meadow.
If you think it looks wonky, you’d be right. Our garden is an odd shape and the sleepers are lined up with the back fence, but it does face mostly right up the garden and therefore will serve it’s purpose. The garden tapers towards the back and the back border is slanted :S
As we go, our plans change. As we have so much slate we are now planning to use that for a path through the meadow to the seat. We are thinking of going diagonally from one side. We have also brought a butterfly bush which will go in the meadow area and be kept in check.
It’s very exciting to see it all coming together. I can’t wait to see what the finished meadow will be like 🙂
I hope, once it’s done, it will show everyone that anyone can create a neat, pretty, functional, but wildlife friendly garden.
These guys approve!
Previous garden posts here.